We received many inquiries for staff to purchase old Dell laptops during the current refresh cycle. We have weighed our options and have decided not to move forward with this sale for these reasons:
- The district would incur a labor cost of approximately $105/device to prepare the laptop for release of all SDoL licensing/data and ready for consumer purchase.
- The devices would be sold “As Is” – the warranty period is over
- The cost to the employee would be (approximately $289):
- $150 to purchase laptop from SDoL
- $139 to purchase Microsoft Windows (Home Edition)
Note: A new Dell laptop starts around $300 (warranty included).
The district has the option to release all laptops to Sycamore (recycling vendor) and receive up to $240,000 depending on the condition of each laptop. These funds would be reinvested within the district to improve/replace other technology needs across all levels.